It’s the start of the new year so we thought it’d be a good time to reflect on what we’ve accomplished over the past year-ish in terms of home and cat life as well as set some specific project goals for the year to come.
We started the blog in March of last year, right as we got serious about working on improving the house. The Bengal girls and I moved in full time in May, so we’ve had a little over half a year actually cohabiting. Still, we have managed to squeeze a decent number of projects in since the birth of this blog less than a year ago. I’ve included links to relevant posts mentioned in the list in case you missed a project we mention and want to check it out.
In 2018 we…
- Painted (most of) the interior walls/trim
- Updated all the ceiling fans, the dining room light, and entry light (and never posted about it, oops)
- Overhauled the front and back yard, and then again on a smaller scale
- Built some shelves for the bathrooms and guest room
- Built a cat room in the garage
- Built a catio with custom cat door access
- Installed a lot of cat doors (5!)
- Painted and updated the hardware on our front door
- Did a lot of decor updates and integrated the lives of our 4 cats (I wouldn’t call them friends, per se, but I think we’ve at least reached neutral tolerance)
- Explored New Zealand (1, 2, and 3)
Not bad for a ten months of working together! We’re happy with how far the house has come in that time. There is still a ton left that we want to accomplish, but since we can’t do it all in 2019 whether because of time or budget, we wanted to share our top project goals for the year.
This year we want to…
- Replace the patio overhang in the back yard
- Install pavers to replace the rocks we removed in the side yard
- Paint all the interior doors and update their hardware
- Paint the laundry room (the only room not yet painted)
- Sort and determine the fate of everything in the garage (it’s still filled with extra furniture and other objects without permanent homes leftover from my moving in)
- Make our office a more ergonomic and functional space for us
- Fix the carpets — whether that is getting the carpet stretched or replacing the carpet with something else
- Seriously research kitchen upgrade options and come up with a renovation plan and timeline
That should be enough to keep us busy, though I am sure we’ll squeeze in other projects and decor updates not in this list. We also plan to travel again, but we haven’t settled on where. We’ll check our progress on these goals next January to see how it all pans out!
How about you? Do you have any project goals for the year or resolutions you want to stick to? Let us know in the comments or via social media.